Your route to Hermes.
Make your career with us or make a successful start on your professional future with us.
Hermes provides a variety of very interesting spheres of operation and jobs. There are opportunities for qualified and committed individuals to forge a successful career in an expanding company with international operations and global standing.
Information about current vacancies can be found here. Speculative applications are also welcome.
We look forward to receiving your application.
Hilmar Guder, Head Change Management and HR
Hermes USA - Virginia Beach (VA)
Director of Manufacturing
DIRECTOR OF MANUFACTURING – HERMES VIRGINIA
Hermes Abrasives Ltd, a leading player in the global coated and bonded abrasives industry, is looking to recruit an outstanding Director of Manufacturing for their US production facility in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The business has an exciting growth plan and the Director of Manufacturing will play a pivotal role in fulfilling its ambitions.
Hermes Abrasives Ltd, headquartered in Hamburg, Germany is one of the world’s leading manufacturers and distributors of industrial coated and bonded abrasives and have production facilities in seven countries world-wide. Group sales are targeted to increase significantly and to support this growth there are substantial capital investments planned in the coming years.
Reporting through a matrix management structure to the Group Vice President of Production and following a strict Safety, Quality, Service, Efficiency ethos, the Director of Manufacturing plays a critical role in the management, control and direction of the Hermes Virginia business.
The position has 5 senior management reports and a total department in excess of 80 persons covering production planning, continuous process and batch production, plant engineering services, maintenance and quality assurance departments with the following responsibilities.
- Maker Production – process manufacturing of the base material in jumbo roll form. Emphasis on production scheduling, product quality, material availability and waste reduction.
- Converting Departments – conversion of the jumbo rolls into the final form for a variety of end use applications. Emphasis on on-time service, quality, product presentation, waste reduction, material flow and cost control.
- Plant Services and Maintenance – machinery & premises maintenance and process improvement. Emphasis on preventative rather than reactive maintenance and innovative process improvements to enable the production departments to achieve their respective quality, service and efficiency targets.
- Quality Assurance – proactive analysis and quality engineering to prevent reasons for customer complaint. In addition QA ensure adherence to Group established standards for release of materials to downstream operations and to customers.
- KPI Performance Management – continuously measure and evaluate the departmental goals and all work processes, available daily labour and daily production goals and progress towards these goals
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Engineering (ideally Mechanical or Electrical) and a minimum of 10 years’ experience managing 50 plus employees in a multi shift manufacturing environment.
In addition you must also:
- Have strong people management experience, excellent oral and written communication skills and an ability to inspire confidence and motivate
- Have excellent project management skills and be able to demonstrate consistent achievement of delivering projects on-time and on-cost
- Be able to demonstrate year-on-year continuous improvements to production KPI’s using Lean production principles
- Be financially astute and have proven budgetary preparation and control ability
- Possess excellent business judgment, able to step back and look at long term vision for the department growth
- Demonstrate a strong track record of problem solving and solid analytical skill capability to look at and find solutions for a variety of operational challenges
- Be capable of strategic thinking, offering robust solutions that will improve both performance and profitability
- Have experience with Environmental, Health and Safety management
- Be familiar with ERP systems (SAP preferred) and Microsoft office products.
In addition to the opportunity to join a growing and exciting business, you will receive a highly competitive basic salary plus excellent benefits package.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to the individual's race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a military veteran or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Hermes Abrasives, Ltd.
524 Viking Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23452